PIARC, formerly known as the World Road Association, was established in 1909 as a non-profit organization. PIARC’s vision is to be the world leader in the exchange of knowledge on roads and road transport policy and practices within the context of integrated, sustainable transport. The organization’s four key missions are to:
- Be a leading international forum for analysis and discussion of the full spectrum of transport issues related to roads and related transport.
- Identify, develop, and disseminate best practice and give better access to international information.
- Consider fully within its activities the needs of developing countries and countries in transition.
- Design, produce, and promote efficient tools for decision making on matters related to roads and related transport.
The Asociación Técnica de Carreteras (ATC) was established in 1971 with a double objective: to host and support the Spanish Committee of the World Road Association (PIARC) and to constitute a forum for meeting and neutral, independent and objective collaboration between the Public Administration , professionals and companies to debate and deal with the technical, economic and social problems of the roads. The ATC as the Spanish National Committee of the World Road Association has certain objectives
- Provide a national focus for the activities of the World Road Association.
- Channel PIARC information to a national audience. In the same way, the National Committee directs information about a national or regional situation to an international audience through PIARC.
- Organize seminars on topics related to PIARC or of interest to the National Committee in your country or together with other countries in the region.
- Ensure that the administration management of its national partners is carried out for PIARC.